how to prepare jolof rice, Just follow the guidelines given here and enjoy!
Jolof rice to cook
- Put 2 cups of cooked rice (and about 3 tablespoons of water) in a saucepan
- Heat the rice in the saucepan and keep the lid on until the rice is almost cooked. Then take the lid off and cook just enough rice for your taste.
- As you take rice off the heat and wait, start cooking the seasoning.
- Add 2 tablespoons of black pepper and 1 tablespoon of salt to the rice (you could add some red pepper flakes if you like).
- Add the wine (if you are not drinking).
- Pour in 1/4 cup of water.
- Add one pinch of salt.
- Add the onions and stir the mixture to coat. Put the meat and stir.
- Continue stirring and breaking the meat apart with a large wooden spoon.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Put on a lid and boil for 5 more minutes.
- Add the gravy and stir.
- Turn the heat off and leave the gravy covered with a lid.
- Serve and enjoy!
Another way to make jolof rice
To use the remaining jolof rice (if you have any left), make a stew with chicken, vegetables and rice.
Here is an easy recipe for chicken stew with jolof rice.
Recipe: How to make chicken stew with jolof rice
How to make chicken stew with jolof rice
3 pieces of chicken
1 tablespoon of oil
1 tablespoon of salt
5-6 cloves of garlic
3 tablespoons of red pepper powder
A pinch of sugar
3 cups of water
3 tablespoons of peanut butter
A pinch of salt (to taste)
Chilli powder (to taste)
How to prepare chicken stew with jolof rice
- Put a bowl of water in the kitchen sink and fill it with enough water for about 15 minutes. Soak the chicken. When the water is getting cold, cover the bowl and let the chicken come to a boil in the water. Let the water come down to a simmer.
- Add a tablespoon of oil in the pan. After the oil is hot, add the chicken.
- When the chicken is about 2 minutes to cook, put in the garlic and onion. When the garlic is soft (about 1 minute), remove the pan from the heat.
- Put the salt, pepper powder and sugar at that point mix
- Cast the water and peanut butter and combine as one.
- Add the red pepper and mix once more.
- Take the chicken out, make it cool. Put the chicken in a bowl and mix in the sauce.
- Take the chicken from the water and combine with the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
There are two other recipes for chicken stew using jolof rice and peanut butter (but with the rice turned into a sauce and not as the main ingredient). The first one is julondoni stew (allegedly for an appetiser).